[mythtv-users] streaming to windows (directly through myth)

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 11:28:54 UTC 2006

On 17/01/06, Andy Foster <fostandy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/17/06, Adam Propeck <adam at propeck.com> wrote:
> > DSMYTH.  Google it or look at sourceforge specifically. It sets up the
> Myth:// and Mythlive:// and all that stuff.
>
> ok, I should probably clarify myself. I have DSMyth installed. The problems
> I was talking about come from when, after ds 'sets up' the myth:// and
> mythlive:// uri's, wmp/vlc/media player of choice is launched with the uri
> as an argument (at least I assume this is what happens). No player knows how
> to handle the myth:// protocol, for instance WMP gives this error:
>
> "The selected file has a scheme that is not recognized by Windows Media
> Player, but the Player may still be able to play it..."
>
> If it continue to attempt to play it it says "Windows Media Player
> encountered an unknown error"
>
> So my question remains the same as before.

vlc worked for me - At least mostly it does:

Sometimes I get no sound - which I assume is related to the recording.
 All recodings are made using a Nova-T card and all have sound when
played back through mythtv.  Some recordings just have no sound when
played back with vlc, and changing the audio track doesn't help.

Sometimes vlc won't open any files at all.  This problem comes and
goes.  Clicking the link in mythweb opens vlc which briefly shows the
correct filename in the status bar, but it never plays the video nor
displays any sort of error.  When it's in this mood I'm unable to play
any files.  On another day it will work perfectly.  I have two windows
machines -  a desktop and a laptop and both exhibit the same
behaviour.