[mythtv-users] Conventional Wisdom Watch

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Jan 18 21:39:51 UTC 2006

Michael Haan <michael.haan at gmail.com> says:
> Ok, so I'm not sure what the consensus is.  My distro is FC4, kernel is
> 2.6.14 from ATrpms.  My main partition is ext3 everything else is on
> ReiserFS/RAID device.  So, is the suggestion for me to rebuild my kernel, or
> remake the RAID FS using XFS or JFS, or some combination of the two?

Conventional Wisdom Watch (with apologies to Newsweek)

Rebuild kernel	    <>	  Good: Old 8K stack option restores stability to
			  multiple filesystem layers. Bad: You'd
			  better know how to manually roll your own
			  kernel or at the least edit and rebuild
			  source RPMs.
ReiserFS	    V	  Many people swear by it, but many others
			  swear at it, especially when dealing with
			  gigabyte-sized files of the kind MythTV
			  produces. Why take the chance?
XFS		    ^     Balanced read/write performance. But
			  is it true that the kernel maintainers
			  dislike it?
JFS                 ^	  Back by full faith and credit of one of the
			  largest IT companies on Earth. Writes not quite
			  as good as reads, though.
Ext3                <>	  Reliable, rock-solid, battle-proven, and no
			  hours-lonk fsck. But slow, slow, slow, slow.
LVM2		    ^	  Flexibility makes extending or modifying
			  partitions easy. But be prepared for the
			  performance hit.