[mythtv-users] DBOX2

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:31:11 UTC 2006

Another thing.  DBOX2 doesn't have a disk controller onboard, so that
rules out sharing the dbox' 'drives' to mythvideo.  Ooops.

It's really only any use as a video source, and even then only up to a point.

Before I build my EPIA-based frontend using minimyth, I was using an
xbox running XBMC with the python scripts for mythtv (with great
success I might add!).

You should be able to pick up a suitable box for less than £100 now.

Infact you could build a quiet system capable of playing xvid/divx&
MPEG2 for less than £200 (EPIA M-10000 & a nice case,  DVD drive,
remote etc).  CPU usage on my frontend playing back DVB-T recordings
is around 15% using xvmc.  All my transcoded DVDs play back without
any problems too.  I wouldn't rate the EPIA boards as suitable for use
as backend material though.

Justin.