[mythtv-users] Schedule changes

Mike Richardson doctor at mcc.ac.uk
Tue Jan 17 08:45:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:06:51AM +0000, Nick wrote:
> On 16/01/06, Mike Richardson <doctor at mcc.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I set up mythtv over Christmas and am just working out some of the
> > idiosyncrasies with my setup. I'm new to the list so apologies if I ask any
> > commonly answered questions.
> >
> > Myth backend is doing lots of unwanted schedules changes like this:
> >
> > 2006-01-15 21:01:25.424 Schedule Change on Channel 1296
> > 2006-01-15 21:01:25.430 Old: 2006-01-18T06:00:00 2006-01-18T06:58:00 GMTV
> > Newshour
> > 2006-01-15 21:01:25.432 New: 2006-01-18 05:30:00 2006-01-18 09:25:00 ITV
> > Early Morning News
> >
> > which are overriding the mythfilldatabase updates each morning with
> > (apparently) incorrect data (e.g. one film shown four times in a row with
> > each showing less than an hour long.)
> >
> > 1. Why does it do this?
>
> This scenario is possible if you are running >1 card using separate
> listings grabbers - e.g. for the UK, you could be using a PVR-xx0 card
> with the uk_rt XMLTV grabber, and a DVB card using the DVB EPG. If you

Good guess. I should have said that I am using a Nova-T card and a PVR-250.

> channels are configured in a certain way, the first update could be
> populating program information using the uk_rt grabber against
> channels which include the DVB channels, and then any DVB channels
> which are configured to get their listings from the DVB EPG will be
> updated again, resulting in the log entries you are seeing.

For starters I didn't know that the DVB had an EPG, which probably didn't
help. It would explain a lot.

> > 3. How does it know which channels to update?
>
> DVB channels can be configured to get their listings from the DVB EPG

Would you know how? I've can't remember seeing anything related to this in
mythtv-setup, just the radio times grabber. I'm now assuming that the radio
times et al are *external* data sources but the DVB card provides, what you
might call, an *interal* data source. This data is being used by Mythtv
despite my ignorance of it so somehow it is setup by default and I need to
find a way to restrict it.

> > 5. How do I stop it?
>
> Assuming that the behaviour is caused by having 2 sources of listings
> data running, I would ensure that only DVB channels for which there
> are no listings available from the uk_rt grabber are set to use the
> EPG, and all other channels use a common source. This should not only
> stop data being overwritten, but also aid the scheduler tremendously
> by ensuring that channels available on multiple input sources have the
> same listings information. (Imagine if you have ITV1 available on your
> PVR's tuner, PVR's direct cable input from an external Sky/NTL box,
> _and_ on a DVB card. If the listings information for the channel
> differs on the three sources, there is a very high chance that a
> program's listing information will have different description/subtitle
> etc which will wreak havoc with the scheduler.)

Sage advice. Until now I thought that this was how it was set up :-(

Any suggestions where I might start looking for the configuration side of
this internal data source?

> Obviously, I have made a few guesses here about your setup, but
> without a DVB card I can't see another possible source for the
> listings updates you are seeing.

Good guesses, and thanks for the very informative response.

Mike
--
Mike Richardson
Networks
Email: doctor at mcc.ac.uk
*Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival*