[mythtv-users] Schedule changes

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 01:06:51 UTC 2006

On 16/01/06, Mike Richardson <doctor at mcc.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I set up mythtv over Christmas and am just working out some of the
> idiosyncrasies with my setup. I'm new to the list so apologies if I ask any
> commonly answered questions.
>
> Myth backend is doing lots of unwanted schedules changes like this:
>
> 2006-01-15 21:01:25.424 Schedule Change on Channel 1296
> 2006-01-15 21:01:25.430 Old: 2006-01-18T06:00:00 2006-01-18T06:58:00 GMTV
> Newshour
> 2006-01-15 21:01:25.432 New: 2006-01-18 05:30:00 2006-01-18 09:25:00 ITV
> Early Morning News
>
> which are overriding the mythfilldatabase updates each morning with
> (apparently) incorrect data (e.g. one film shown four times in a row with
> each showing less than an hour long.)
>
> 1. Why does it do this?

This scenario is possible if you are running >1 card using separate
listings grabbers - e.g. for the UK, you could be using a PVR-xx0 card
with the uk_rt XMLTV grabber, and a DVB card using the DVB EPG. If you
channels are configured in a certain way, the first update could be
populating program information using the uk_rt grabber against
channels which include the DVB channels, and then any DVB channels
which are configured to get their listings from the DVB EPG will be
updated again, resulting in the log entries you are seeing.

> 2. Where does the data come from?

LIkely the DVB EPG

> 3. How does it know which channels to update?

DVB channels can be configured to get their listings from the DVB EPG

> 4. If the answer to the above is related to the configuration of the
> mythfilldatabase side of things then why is it getting incorrect data from
> my input source?

It is more likely the data being retrieved is correct, but the
configuration of the grabbers/mythfilldatabase/channels is causing
this behaviour

> 5. How do I stop it?

Assuming that the behaviour is caused by having 2 sources of listings
data running, I would ensure that only DVB channels for which there
are no listings available from the uk_rt grabber are set to use the
EPG, and all other channels use a common source. This should not only
stop data being overwritten, but also aid the scheduler tremendously
by ensuring that channels available on multiple input sources have the
same listings information. (Imagine if you have ITV1 available on your
PVR's tuner, PVR's direct cable input from an external Sky/NTL box,
_and_ on a DVB card. If the listings information for the channel
differs on the three sources, there is a very high chance that a
program's listing information will have different description/subtitle
etc which will wreak havoc with the scheduler.)

Obviously, I have made a few guesses here about your setup, but
without a DVB card I can't see another possible source for the
listings updates you are seeing.

Nick