[mythtv-users] Replacing MythTV remote... anyone have any experience with RS 15-2136 (or 15-2137?)

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 23:58:51 UTC 2006

--- Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 03:50:48PM -0500, obscure
> information. wrote:
> > Hi Rob,
> >
> > What JP1 software are you using?
>
> Some stuff called RemoteMaster and "IR", which I got
> from
> hifi-remote.com and/or the JP1 Yahoo! Groups.
>
> > I'm a little leery of going that route, only
> because I know that the
> > 15-2133 requires physical modification in order to
> use JP1
> > programming, and I really don't want to run the
> risk of screwing up
> > on the soldering, as it's been about 10 years
> since I last used a
> > soldering iron.
>
> The 15-2116 does not require any physical
> modification; there is a JP1
> port right under the battery cover. Didn't even need
> a screwdriver.
>
> > Where could I find more information about JP1
> programming?  I've
> > been to hifi-remote, but I couldn't find
> information regarding
> > either the 2136 or 2137 there.
>
> If they are extremely new models, it's possible that
> no one there has
> played with one. You could always ask them.
>
> --Rob

The other catch is that a lot of the newer remotes
(like the URC-10820 I have my eye on) aren't JP1
remotes, but JP1.1 or JP1.2 remotes.  The JP1.2
remotes have the same connector (a 3x2), but the
internals are totally different.

If the remote is a JP1.2, then forget about being able
to use the JP1 tools (different CPU, different means
of communication that hasn't been reverse engineered
yet, and the progress is slow).  Also, some of the
newer Radio Shack remotes might not support EFCs,
which allow you to program codes to buttons that don't
normally send them (which JP1 could fix).

If anybody has figured out EFCs on the Radio Shack
15-2146 remote (the one with the voice prompts), I'd
love to know how they did it - it looks good for a PVR
setup.

-- Joe