[mythtv-users] Lost sound on EPIA SP -- how to diagnose?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jan 16 22:50:26 UTC 2006

Ole Sandum wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>It seems everyone else's problems here are far more exotic, but I am out
>of things to try and going desperate. So here goes:
>
>Just to try it out, I built a pilot FE/BE combo with FC4 on a VIA EPIA
>SP8000 a couple of months ago. It was running nicely, but was begging
>for faster hardware and more storage. So over christmas, I got myself a
>nice Athlon 64-based box full of slots and drives to put the BE on. Hit
>a couple of bumps on the way, but has it running nicely now using the
>pure 64-bit packages from "atrpms-testing", mythfilling program guides
>and recording everything in sight. Sweet. Thank you Axel, thank you
>Jarod, and thank you everone else contributing.
>
>Now to the problem: somewhere along the way I lost the sound on the EPIA
>and I can't get it back. It's just plain analog stereo out to the TV
>set, so nothing fancy, but I don't know how to diagnose it. I've tried
>un-/reinstall the alsa-{drivers,lib,utils} packages, skimming log files
>for messages, but everything seems normal. Except the output remains
>silent. I suppose this happened as a result of updating packages, but
>since the original installaion was done months ago, I don't have a
>precise recollection of what was installed/updated when.
>
>So please, any hints for places to look, stuff to read, or things to try
>out will be most welcome.

Is sound turned on in the BIOS?
Did you fiddle with the internal jumpers, even to set something else?
Can you get any sounds if you try to play a wav file with various programs?
Have you tried all of the outputs? I had my output plugged into the line
input at one stage.... BTDT!
Have you tried fiddling with kmix and made sure that the volume is
turned up?
Is the external amp properly set up?  Kinda silly to curse the machine
when you have inadvertantly switched on 'Tape Monitor' and thus
effectively turned off the input? Might help to plug in some earphones
directly to the motherboard.

Geoff