[mythtv-users] Lost sound on EPIA SP -- how to diagnose?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Jan 16 22:05:09 UTC 2006

Ole Sandum wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> It seems everyone else's problems here are far more exotic, but I am out
> of things to try and going desperate. So here goes:
> Just to try it out, I built a pilot FE/BE combo with FC4 on a VIA EPIA
> SP8000 a couple of months ago. It was running nicely, but was begging
> for faster hardware and more storage. So over christmas, I got myself a
> nice Athlon 64-based box full of slots and drives to put the BE on. Hit
> a couple of bumps on the way, but has it running nicely now using the
> pure 64-bit packages from "atrpms-testing", mythfilling program guides
> and recording everything in sight. Sweet. Thank you Axel, thank you
> Jarod, and thank you everone else contributing.
> Now to the problem: somewhere along the way I lost the sound on the EPIA
> and I can't get it back. It's just plain analog stereo out to the TV
> set, so nothing fancy, but I don't know how to diagnose it. I've tried
> un-/reinstall the alsa-{drivers,lib,utils} packages, skimming log files
> for messages, but everything seems normal. Except the output remains
> silent. I suppose this happened as a result of updating packages, but
> since the original installaion was done months ago, I don't have a
> precise recollection of what was installed/updated when.
> So please, any hints for places to look, stuff to read, or things to try
> out will be most welcome.
I hate to point out the obvious, but did you run alsa-mixer and unmute 


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list