[mythtv-users] Setting up an FAQ for LiveTV changes

Andy Foster fostandy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 16:02:45 UTC 2006

On 1/17/06, Jake <jakeisawake at gmail.com> wrote:

> i was under the impression that if a user wants to run svn then they
> are expected to at the very least be following the -commits mailing
> list.  and it is strongly suggested that they also follow the -dev
> list.  at least this is how it's been in the past so maybe this has
> changed but from the mythtv.org site it doesn't seem like it has:

Once again this comes back to the issue (which has already been discussed in
considerable detail) that for people who are getting started with SVN, there
is a LOT of information digest at once. Something which provides a quick
summary of what's going on surely can't be hurtful.

After all, one could argue that we don't need any documentation at all, just
refer to the mailing list :)

"DO NOT use CVS if you have had any problems getting the last release
> to run. If you're using CVS, it's also a very good idea to subscribe
> to the commits list -- I often include update notes and warnings in
> the commit message."  obviously we are just replacing cvs with svn now
> so i can't see why this policy would change.

If this is referring to the last stable release, it's a little ironic
considering the massive number of fixes the dev builds provide in respect to
the problems in the last release.

Ok sure, I can understand the over hassled devs already have enough on their
hands than having to deal with more newbies coming in and going 'what the?'.
Which is (I assume) part of the reason Jens suggested the FAQ in the first
place. In an ideal world, we will have SVN newbies who constantly monitor
the mailing lists and know exactly what's going on, and those who didn't
wouldn't use the dev branch at all, or if they did they would be completely
silent. This would be nice but I am not going to stake money on it anytime
soon.

as for when .19 comes out i would expect that the official mythtv.org
> docs will be updated to reflect the new livetv system and the pitfalls
> associated with it.  maybe the best way to contribute would be to help
> in updating the offical documentation for .19 instead of creating yet
> another FAQ.  this is just how i see the situation so take my opinion
> with a grain of salt i guess.

For all intents and purposes, at this stage it is much the same thing - some
central, summarised resource for people to consult for the new changes.
Whether it's called a FAQ, .19 documentation or the book of matthew, none of
it will be truely definite until the .19 release is finalized. For this
reason I'd lean towards a more unofficial and flexible document, which could
be incorporated into official documentation later, but at the end of the day
I don't really think it matters.

Andy