[mythtv-users] mythfrontend laptop linux distro???

mike choy mike at acaciaclose.co.uk
Sun Jan 15 23:09:38 UTC 2006

Gavin Haslett wrote:
> I've got two laptops that run Fedora 4 and Knoppix. By far the better
> of the two on the frontend duties is the Knoppix box... but that's a
> more powerful machine.
>
> My Fedora laptop is actually only a PIII-class CPU (500Mhz), but with
> a nice trim config (XFCE instead of one of the heavy WM's) the
> performance is more than acceptable. Runs Myth playback pretty well
> for SD, but for HD I wouldn't even attempt it.
>
> Depends a lot on what kind of stuff you're going to do with it. I use
> my laptop primarily for "Office-type" applications; Email, Web, word
> processing etc... I only really use Myth on my laptops for editing
> video (creating cutlists, not cutting video).

Suse 10 is going v nice here, dependancy issues are mainly due to not
setting up your on line repositories right.
get them sorted, and you will find it a doddle especially as yast gives
you options to overide as needed. I moved from
fedora core 4 because I found what redhat did with the build trees and
source code was a bit of a pain.

Sorry to plug the website but its all here.
http://www.acaciaclose.co.uk

Mike C