[mythtv-users] DVICO Fusion HDTV 5 Lite vs HD3000

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 19:20:45 UTC 2006

On 1/13/06, Mudit Wahal <mwahal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've both tuners. I'm using OTA HD. Both record equally well, no
> reception problems whatsoever. I had to keep them one pci slot apart
> though. So, HD3K is in slot 1 and Lite is in slot 3.
>
> Also, both lite and gold have 5th generation chipset. Someone said its
> 4th gen, but they are wrong. Goto the dvico website and do comparison.
> The digital portion is SAME, only the analog is different. Lite has 8
> bit bt878 whereas gold has 10bit cx chipset. Gold also comes with
> remote and tons of the other *windows* software. Lite is $50 cheaper
> than gold.
>

> On 1/13/06, Scott <catfather at donpoo.net> wrote:
> > Greets -
> >
> > I've been following MythTV lists for a while and seem to recall that
> > the DVICO Fusion 5 cards have a newer generation HDTV tuner than the
> > HD3000 card. Is this correct? If so, can anyone speak to improvements
> > due to the newer tuner, such as picture quality, channel locking,
> > channel switching etc?
> >
> > My primary use of either card will be for ATSC only. At this point
> > I'm leaning towards the DVICO Fusion 5 Lite simply because it is more
> > current hardware and appears to have good in kernel support. I was
> > also pleased by how fast it seemed that in kernel support came along
> > after the hardware was released. (Seemed like only a 2 or 3 months!)
> >
> > --
> > Scott <catfather at donpoo.net>
> > AIM: BlueCame1

I've got a 3000 and two 5 Lites.  My 3000 previously worked flawlessly
tuning QAM under Gentoo.  Now, under FC4 the 3000 routinely has an issue
where it loses sound causing the frontend to eat memory.  It's a recording
issue, not playback, because the "issue" will re-occur in the same spot
every time.  No one on the 3000 side has been able to help, so I'll switch
to the Lite if it'll work.  Unfortunately, I don't believe that support has
been baked into ATRPMS yet.