[mythtv-users] Difference between WinTV PVR-250 and 150?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 22:05:49 UTC 2006

--- Wade Maxfield <mythtv at hotblack.co.nz> wrote:

> >I'm looking at these 2 cards back-to-back on the
> Hauppage site:
> >

><http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr250.html>http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr250.html
> >

><http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150.html>http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150.html
> >
> >   And I'm not seeing any difference, besides the
> tech specs.
> >
> >   In layman's terms, why would I use a 250 vs. a
> 150 for a second
> >capture card? (I'm using a PVR-250 as my current
> primary capture
> >card).
> >
> >Technically speaking
> >WinTV-PVR-150 contains a high quality 10-bit video
> digitizer with 4
> >line adaptive comb filter to reduce video noise,
> plus a highly
> >integrated MPEG-1/2 hardware encoder. WinTV-PVR-150
> can record full
> >screen TV or video at data rates from 2.5 to 12
> Mbits/sec from TV,
> >VCR or camcorder. The encoded MPEG-2 video is sent
> over the PCI bus,
> >where it is stored on the PCs hard disk. The video
> can also be
> >played back to the PC screen while recording.
> >
> >Technically speaking
> >WinTV-PVR-250 contains a highly integrated MPEG-1/2
> hardware
> >encoder, plus a high quality video digitizer.
> WinTV-PVR-250 can
> >record full screen TV or video from a VCR or
> camcorder, using as
> >little as 1.5GB of hard disk space per hour. The
> encoded MPEG-2
> >video is sent over the PCI bus, where it is stored
> on the PCs hard
> >disk. The video can also be played back to the PC
> screen while
> >recording.
> >

> >--------------S
> >

> Picture quality aside (and on my system I can't
> really see much of a
> difference) there seems to be a noticeable
> difference, as others have
> mentioned recently, in the volume the 150 records at
> compared to the
> 250.
>
>   - Wade

For the most part, a PVR-150 is a cost reduced PVR-250
with a different tuner chip and a different MPEG-2
encoder chip.  (I don't actually have a PVR-150, but I
have a PVR-500 which uses the same components).

I haven't really noticed the volume issue, but up
until the recent ivtv drivers (0.4.1), I did notice a
difference in picture quality.  At this point, I'd say
that the quality of both are good enough.

-- Joe