[mythtv-users] Recommend an HD/SD tuner card?

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Thu Jan 12 21:27:15 UTC 2006

According to Steve Adeff,
> On Thursday 12 January 2006 14:04, Dorsey Graphics wrote:
> > That's the issue - it may be Comcast, it may be DirecTC. Probably not
> > OTA, but I don't really know yet.
>
> Comcast
> 	Possible HD cable box firewire for HD capture
> 		5C could prevent lots of channels from being captured
> 	Possible QAM for HD tuner
> 		limitied channels if it works
>
> DirecTV
> 	No HD into Myth
>
> OTA
> 	singal reception problems
> 	only OTA channels
>
> >    Is there a card that will work well for all?
>
> no card that I know of does HD and SD together well. If you want to do
> QAM/ATSC, then get a cheap HD tuner card, ~$100 and if you want to do SD get
> a PVR-150, ~$70 or PVR-500 ~$150.

In my experience, whatever card can receive digital HDTV
can also receive (digital) SDTV.  In my area, KQED transmits
five or six (digital) SD channels when it's not transmitting
HDTV.  It's important not to confuse digital SD with analog
TV, and certainly not to use "SD" as a shorthand for the
latter.  The PVR-150 will only capture analog.