[mythtv-users] Recommend an HD/SD tuner card?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 20:17:16 UTC 2006

On Thursday 12 January 2006 14:42, Dorsey Graphics wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Steve Adeff wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 January 2006 14:04, Dorsey Graphics wrote:
> >> That's the issue - it may be Comcast, it may be DirecTC. Probably not
> >> OTA, but I don't really know yet.
> >
> > Comcast
> > 	Possible HD cable box firewire for HD capture
> > 		5C could prevent lots of channels from being captured
>
> Is the 5C a digital cable box model? I love the idea of firewire out
> - I have a Mac (imagine the possibilities!!!)

its digital rights management, it makes it possible to prevent you from
copying the stream to your computer.

> > 	Possible QAM for HD tuner
> > 		limitied channels if it works
> >

> > DirecTV
> > 	No HD into Myth
>
> Interesting. So I guess that DirecTV is no longer an option.

not for HD, works fine with a PVR card for SD.

> > OTA
> > 	singal reception problems
> > 	only OTA channels
> >
> >>    Is there a card that will work well for all?
> >
> > no card that I know of does HD and SD together well. If you want to do
> > QAM/ATSC, then get a cheap HD tuner card, ~$100 and if you want to
> > do SD get
> > a PVR-150, ~$70 or PVR-500 ~$150.
>
> What is QAM/ATSC? I am not familiar with these terms?

ATSC is the standard for broadcasting HDTV over the air. QAM is what cable
companies use to send digital tv (digital cable or HD) over their lines.

> Wikipedia sais QAM is "Quadrature amplitude modulation". I have no
> idea what that is.
> Also, ATSC is NTSC for hi-def?

ATSC is a modulation method for broadcasting HDTV. HDTV is its own standard,
no matter where you are in the world HDTV is HDTV, no more NTSC/PAL mess.

--
Steve