[mythtv-users] Recommend an HD/SD tuner card?

Dorsey Graphics info at dorseygraphics.com
Thu Jan 12 19:42:46 UTC 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Steve Adeff wrote:

> On Thursday 12 January 2006 14:04, Dorsey Graphics wrote:
>> That's the issue - it may be Comcast, it may be DirecTC. Probably not
>> OTA, but I don't really know yet.
>
> Comcast
> 	Possible HD cable box firewire for HD capture
> 		5C could prevent lots of channels from being captured

Is the 5C a digital cable box model? I love the idea of firewire out
- I have a Mac (imagine the possibilities!!!)

> 	Possible QAM for HD tuner
> 		limitied channels if it works

> DirecTV
> 	No HD into Myth

Interesting. So I guess that DirecTV is no longer an option.

> OTA
> 	singal reception problems
> 	only OTA channels
>
>>    Is there a card that will work well for all?
>
> no card that I know of does HD and SD together well. If you want to do
> QAM/ATSC, then get a cheap HD tuner card, ~$100 and if you want to
> do SD get
> a PVR-150, ~$70 or PVR-500 ~$150.

What is QAM/ATSC? I am not familiar with these terms?

Wikipedia sais QAM is "Quadrature amplitude modulation". I have no
idea what that is.
Also, ATSC is NTSC for hi-def?

Thank you so much!