[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR Questions

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:13:12 UTC 2006

On 12/01/06, Steve Nuffer <nuffersp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You mentioned you cleared up the resolution.  by changing the de-interlace
> algorithm.  Can you explain this a little bit further?  I recently changed
> from the 350 output to a nVidia card as well.

Well I tried the various de-interlace settings available in the
mythfronted set-up screens.  For me the 'kernel' method looks best,
but it's pretty subjective, and your mileage might vary.  You can also
try with XvMC turned on and off.  If I remember right using XvMC gave
an improvement, but made the On Screen Displays unusable due to
extreme flickering of the picture whenever the menus were brought up,
so I leave it turned off.

Overall I haven't regretted changing from the 350's TV out. It enabled
me to play DVD's and use Picture-In-Picture and GOOM and other stuff
that the PVR350 couldn't handle in those days (though I believe it can
now with the new ivtv drivers).

The TV picture quality difference is pretty marginal. At first glance
I'd say that the nVidia output looks better - ie a bit sharper and
brighter, but the motion issue is definately there and some programmes
just don't seem quite right.

The other minor issue I have with the nVidia card is that I think I'm
having to overscan the picture more than the 350 did, to get rid of
the wobbly edges, and from time to time the overscan settings get
reset to 0.  I've had to assign a button on my remote to restore them.