[mythtv-users] PCI Express video card with picture controls

Mike Morrison yagomike at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 04:02:44 UTC 2006

Hi all.  I'm looking for advice on a video card.

I recently purchased a new motherboard/processor that I'd hoped to use to
upgrade my mythtv system.  The new machine does everything I want it to
performance-wise -- i.e. playback HDTV video smoothly.  It has one major
flaw, though.  The video card is a PCI-e nvidia 6200-based card.  In their
infinite wisdom, nvidia removed some of the Xv hardware support that was
in all previous video cards.  Most importantly to me, it's no longer
possible to adjust color saturation and hue.  Since I'm connected to my
display through an RGB DVI connection, it's not possible to adjust these
controls on the display either.  The saturation setting the card uses has
the colors so blown out that it's unwatchable.

I posted to nvidia's forum and the reponse was that video overlay support
is gone and I should try using an application that has an opengl video
output driver.  Since that's not a practical solution, I'm looking for
other suggestions.  Does anyone know of a PCI-express video card that can
handle HDTV resolutions and has video overlay support? Nvidia used to sell
5300PCX cards, but those are no longer available.

Thanks,

-- Mike