[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR Questions

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 12 01:51:26 UTC 2006

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
> bmayland (CC'ed) started a thread on 15 June 2005 showing dramatic
> differences in sharpness between the two cards, with the 250 winning.
> He also said he'd do some more experimentation; Bryan, did you come
> up any any further results?  (I'm particularly interested in RF-in,
> but I also use composite-in.)

This is a timely thread for me.

I've monitored this list for a while, and the two conflicting, generally
prevailing, opinions I've picked up are summarized neatly in this thread as:

- The 150/250/500 exhibit indistinguishable picture quality
- The 250 has noticeably better picture quality than the 150

I've just deployed my first myth (FE/BE) box, with much joy,
congratulations and success.  Two things have become immediately obvious
to us:

- We need a second tuner
- Out of the box, the picture quality from my PVR-150 system doesn't
equal broadcast quality (of my SD analog cable system) for "fast moving"
TV, most notably sports.  Emphasis on "out of the box", since I've done
almost nothing to try to improve the quality.

So I'm trying to learn more than I ever thought I'd need to know about
how to tune the picture.  I've got a lot to learn: interlacing, filters,
and a slew of other knobs and buttons to tweak.

In the meantime, I'm anxious to order a second tuner, since we suddenly
have all kinds of conflicts between live TV and programs we want to
record, that we never had before.

Sorry for the long-winded background.

Bottom line, I too would be very glad to hear more input on the quality
of the various cards available, and keenly interested in comments
relative to "fast moving" scenes.

I'd also be very happy to discover the definitive "How to tune your
PVR-150 based MythTV system for Dummies" reference!  As usual with this
stuff (and it *is* both the allure and the curse), it seems like you've
got to dig down to bedrock before you can work your way back up to the
surface and figure out which settings to tweak.  I sure wish there were
"recipes" with cross referenced background material.

Cheers,
john