[mythtv-users] Versions, Was: ivtv and dvb living together in same box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 11 17:56:09 UTC 2006

On Jan 11, 2006, at 10:44 AM, casey dunn wrote:

> On 1/11/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>

> What we have to do is not upgrade once we've got a' working'
> config.  It's like the livetv fixes.  If you stayed out of SVN you
> where fine, nothing broke.
>
> I agree with the versioning comment, it was a lot easier to track
> potential problems as a user when we had and even/odd split between
> stable and dev.
>
> BTW using 'we' was intentional I just broke my box dist-upgrading
> from dapper.  Everything I needed worked fine last week.  :-)  When
> you're on the bleeding edge expect to get cut.

Linus says that kernel development is now "smoother" without the
separate trees. I'm sure that is true. It would be even "smoother" if
all of us users would just switch to Windows for a few years. If you
stop worrying about breaking things of course you can make more
progress in the long run:-)

The problem with not upgrading is that with each "upgrade" they
manage to slip in at least one minor thing that I want to have, in
spite of the trouble that always causes.

The SVN tree has the same problem, there are just enough improvements
to make it worth the effort for a lot of us.