[mythtv-users] Centralized NFS (NAS?) video partition

David myth at dgreaves.com
Wed Jan 11 09:09:12 UTC 2006

David Bennett wrote:

>>If you want to buy an off-the-shelf NAS then that's different.
>>

>Do you think that is a viable option? I can't help but thinking if I
>have this backend (a fairly large case too!), that I should use it to
>run as my backend, and run a few drives in it on a RAID setup. On the
>other hand I have been hearing many good things about ReadyNAS ... so
>I am a little conflicted.

I'm not the best person to ask :)
I've never researched them and would rather build my own - but that's
not necessarily a 'rational' thing - more for fun and learning.
I don't think there are any technical reasons that it won't work. If you
have a single-box approach then spend more money on a decent mb (maybe
go Intel rather than nvidia/VIA), psu (really), case (eg lian-li or
other aluminium ones)

>>high CPU and temperatures - and maybe DMA issues. If you are worried
>>about network bw, then drop a cheap gig card in both the NAS and BE.
>>

>If I do decide to go with a gig card, do you have any experience with
>them? Should any brand/model be safe, or does gig networking still
>have issues to be worked out with Linux?

Yes. I have 3 Intel e1000 cards that are back in their boxes after I
(together with months emailing the incredibly helpful Intel driver
developer - who even got Intel to buy the same mb as me) couldn't get
them to work on my VIA based mb. I now use Marvell based ones - slower
but they work.
If you have an intel system then get the e1000 they are supposed to be
the best.

>Finally, would you by chance remember the option to keep the drives
>from spinning down with Hdparam? Still no luck in finding the option
>(or even if I can get it to work with my sata's) but I have a feeling
>that might be the culprit!

hdparm -S0
IIRC - yup I checked.

David