[mythtv-users] Centralized NFS (NAS?) video partition

David Bennett davidbennett1979 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:28:16 UTC 2006

Hi Dave,

 Thank you kindly for your quick response. I think I am getting a
better sense of what I need to do and what I need to learn.

If you don't mind, may I ask a few more questions?

> If you want to buy an off-the-shelf NAS then that's different.

Do you think that is a viable option? I can't help but thinking if I
have this backend (a fairly large case too!), that I should use it to
run as my backend, and run a few drives in it on a RAID setup. On the
other hand I have been hearing many good things about ReadyNAS ... so
I am a little conflicted.

> high CPU and temperatures - and maybe DMA issues. If you are worried
> about network bw, then drop a cheap gig card in both the NAS and BE.

If I do decide to go with a gig card, do you have any experience with
them? Should any brand/model be safe, or does gig networking still
have issues to be worked out with Linux?

Finally, would you by chance remember the option to keep the drives
from spinning down with Hdparam? Still no luck in finding the option
(or even if I can get it to work with my sata's) but I have a feeling
that might be the culprit!

thanks again for everything,
dave