[mythtv-users] Wireless Keyboard Questions -- BelkinMediaPilotworth it?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 22:07:45 UTC 2006

For the sake of anyone else considering the MediaPilot -- I've had it
about a week and here aer some of my thoughts.

Both keyboard and pointer worked out of the box on FC4, except for the
battery/power issues (see below). The mouse pointer works well enough,
though I wouldn't want to use it often.

The form of the keyboard is nice -- compact but the keys are
full-size. It's not something you want to do serious work on, but it
works fine for writing email or tweaking config files.

The construction is a bit flimsy, however. The plastic just feels
cheap, and I, for one, would prefer the keyboard to be heavier and
more rugged. This thing will not survive long in a house with kids.

The universal remote works but requires the MS Windows driver to
install remote codes. There are also programmable buttons I don't know
if there's any support for them in Linux.

The biggest problem, and the reason I'm still thinking of returning
it, is that the keyboard doesn't sit properly in the base station and
so the charger doesn't really work. Fortunately I have an Ni-MH
charger, but I'd really prefer it if the product worked as advertised.

I tested the latency by installing and playing a bit of the Wing
Commander Privateer remake -- it's much more responsive than I had
imagined and comparable to a wired keyboard.

Overall I'm mighty impressed with the MediaPilot but wish Belkin had
spent a bit more on its construction. There's really no excuse for the
charger not working because of shoddy plastic.