[mythtv-users] XM Radio Functionality in Myth

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 15:26:50 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 10:18, Meatwad wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >    I did a little searching, but never found any real discussion on
> > integrating XM (or other satellite radio) into MythTV.  Are any of the
> > developers interested in this?  I bring it up because over Christmas,
> > my family and I subscribed to XM radio.  While I can hook it directly
> > to my stereo, I'd love to be able to use it directly in MythTV.
> >
> > I have to admit, I didn't come up with the idea.  I was walking
> > through Best Buy yesterday and I saw the Windows XP Media Center
> > display.  However, one of the employees was listening to and changing
> > XM channels on it.  So, I went home and found this:
> >
> > http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/screen/pr_2005_ces_microsoft.html
> >
> > Basically it appears that there's a plugin in Windows MCE that acts as
> > a frontend wrapper around "XM Radio Online" which allows XM
> > subscribers to stream music over the net.  What's nice about it is the
> > way it presents the information to the user.
> >
> > I think SageTV also has a sirrius and XM plugin as well.
> >
> > Either way, I just wanted to see if anyone besides me would be
> > interested in such a plugin!
>
> I was thinking about this as well but from a hardware perspective. The
> Polk XRt12 XM radio tuner can be used just as we currently use Direct TV
> receivers - with some bonuses. First, the digital out of the Polk could
> be routed to your soundcard's digital input which maintains the
> all-digital path to the harddrive. Secondly, the RS-232 port on the back
> is bi-directional. While discrete commands be issued by the plugin to
> the receiver, the receiver can provide the plugin with metadata such as
> "what's playing now."
>
> I would suspect that for such a plugin to actually be released with
> mythtv, certain conditions would need to be met such as a reliable
> program data source for the XM content so that the recordings could be
> handled by the existing scheduler framework. I recall Isaac disallowing
> the MythFM plugin from releases because it did not meet this requirement.
>
> At this point an FM tuner could be adapted with relative ease, assuming
> reliable program data sources were available for the desired stations of
> course.

along with what James Oltman posted (which looks like a sweet little device),

XM Full channel listing, with per-channel schedule links, easily scrape-able.
http://www.xmradio.com/programming/full_channel_listing.jsp?sort=number

Sirius has a similar set up on their web page but theres no good homepage for
their schedule listing, so while a little more difficult to scrape, its
possible none the less.

--
Steve
who, if theres a good MythTV plugin for satelite radio, might actuall