[mythtv-users] question about RAID

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Tue Jan 10 00:25:31 UTC 2006

>> mdadm RAID 0 with 3 drives, JFS (my favorite) or XFS file system.
>>
>> Some may disagree, but in such a simple setup, I don't see any reason to
>> add lvm on top of this RAID array, but others may prefer it.
>>
>> Also note, I don't believe you can boot off of a md RAID 0 drive, so you'll
>> need another driver (or network boot) for your boot partition.
>
>Ok, thats what I thought. do I have to use any special mdadm settings in order
>to do RAID0 and have it stripe across the drives?

Nothing special. Just a /etc/raidtab like so:

# /var/video (RAID 0)
raiddev                 /dev/md0
raid-level              0
nr-raid-disks           2
chunk-size              32
persistent-superblock   1
device                  /dev/hda1
raid-disk               0
device                  /dev/hdc1
raid-disk               1

>Is it possible to add another drive to the RAID0 later to increase the speed
>later? I have the feeling the 2 will be enough for now, but...

I don't know. I think this is where lvm come in handy, but I've never done it.
But, since your data isn't important, you shouldn't have to worry about losing
it and creating a new array if something goes wrong