[mythtv-users] question about RAID

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 00:12:03 UTC 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 17:44, James C. Dastrup wrote:

> >> mdadm does a true RAID 0
> >
> >Ok, let me ask the question again...
> >
> >I have 2, possibly 3, 320gig SATA drives. I want to build a RAID array
> > that will maximize the speed of read and writes to the array. I have no
> > concern with redundency because I will archive what I wish to keep to
> > another drive.
> >
> >Using mdadm or lvm2, what type or RAID setup should I use?
>
> mdadm RAID 0 with 3 drives, JFS (my favorite) or XFS file system.
>
> Some may disagree, but in such a simple setup, I don't see any reason to
> add lvm on top of this RAID array, but others may prefer it.
>
> Also note, I don't believe you can boot off of a md RAID 0 drive, so you'll
> need another driver (or network boot) for your boot partition.

Ok, thats what I thought. do I have to use any special mdadm settings in order
to do RAID0 and have it stripe across the drives?

Is it possible to add another drive to the RAID0 later to increase the speed
later? I have the feeling the 2 will be enough for now, but...

I have a 40gig Seagate reasonably fast something or other model SATA drive
being delivered with my two new 320g's to replace my dieing 120gig system
drive so I should be ok with that.

--
thanks,
Steve