[mythtv-users] LiveTV & MythMusic - Just lost sound

Brian Donaldson brian.donaldson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 04:19:40 UTC 2006

I'm running MythTV 0.18.1 with a PVR-250.  I'm using the motherboard's
via82xx audio chipset with spdif out to my receiver.  I just built the
MythTV box today and everything was working fine.  I'm using Xine for
MythVideo and MythDVD.  Both of those play audio and video just fine.
However, after about and hour of use LiveTV and MythMusic just stopped
playing audio for no apparent reason.  I double-checked the audio settings
in the setup menu.  I think these are right:

Audio output device = /dev/dsp
enable ac3 to spdif passthrough = unchecked
mixer device=/dev/mixer
mixer controls = pcm

I did notice one thing that changed, but I don't know how it happened and
unfortunately changing it back didn't fix the problem.  On this sound card
there is a slider in alsamixer labeled "IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA" that
needs to be at zero to enable spdif output.  I had set it to zero
previously, but some how it was set to 100%.  I turned it back down, but
still no audio from LiveTV or MythMusic.  MythVideo and MythDVD through Xine
still work just fine.  I tryed playing a file with aplay and there was no
sound with it either.  My asound and modprobe.conf files are below.  I don't
know what else to check.  Has anyone seen this before?

[root at localhost mythtv]# cat /home/mythtv/.asoundrc
pcm.via82xx {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.via82xx {
type hw
card 0
}
[root at localhost mythtv]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
alias eth0 via-rhine
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-via82xx index=0
#remove snd-via82xx { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-via82xx
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-7667
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-7667
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 ivtv
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
lirc_i2c

Thanks,

Brian