[mythtv-users] SOLVED (?): separate frontend/backend - MySQL client err 2013 "Lost connection to MySQL server during query"

Shawn C. Powell shawncp at kcnet.com
Mon Jan 9 04:18:29 UTC 2006

Hi everyone,

The following solved the lost connection problem for me.  This is the result
of trolling through some messages on the MythTV Developers list and
eventually through some on RedHat.

The final message I read on RedHat suggested that there was a bug in the glibc
resolver library.  I doubted this, because I would think that such a low
level problem would manifest in almost every program on my machine, BUT,
neither am I a DNS expert <g>.

It seems more likely that the problem is in MythTV or my DNS server set up.
I replaced all named host references with addresses.  (i.e.
"a.my.localdomain"  with 192.168....).

This included the bind_address in MySQL configuration, the host permissions to
the mythconverg database, and all references to frontends/backends/servers
within MythTV setup.  This could be overkill and perhaps I'll investigate
further when my frustration level drops.  Its pretty well maxed out at the
moment.

Anyway, after the above changes, I was able to complete the frontend
configuration and read the program guide perfectly.   That's as far as I've
gotten at the moment.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Shawn C. Powell