[mythtv-users] question about RAID

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 23:01:54 UTC 2006

On 1/8/06, Joe Votour <joevph at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What you do is use the ports in non-RAID mode
> > (i.e.
> > > make them all regular SATA ports) and use mdadm to
> > > create and manage the RAID array.
> > >
> > > -- Joe
> >
> > gotcha, sounds like a plan for me. One final
> > question, all the examples for
> > RAID 1 in mdadm shows only 2 drives in the array, is
> > it possible to use 3 or
> > more? and if so, can I add the additional drives
> > later as needed?
> >
> > --
> > thanks!
> > Steve
> >

> As far as I know, RAID-1 is meant for two drives
> (mirror) only.  I don't see why you couldn't add an
> extra drive as a hot spare, to put into the mirror
> when one drive dies.
>
> If you have three (or more) drives, then I recommend
> RAID-5 instead, though with four drives, you could do
> a RAID-0+1 (I think that's what they call it -
> basically a stripe that is then mirrored.)
>
> As for adding drives, I'm not really sure.  I have a
> four drive RAID-5, and I'm not really sure how I'd add
> another drive into the array - then again, I don't
> have any more room in the hacked up SCSI drive case
> and the Epia is out of IDE ports.  I know that you can
> add them as hot spares, but I'm not sure about into
> the array themselves.
>
> Sorry this doesn't help much, perhaps somebody who is
> more knowledgeable about RAID and using it within
> MythTV (as opposed to just using it for a Samba file
> server) can give more pointees.
>
> -- Joe

Agreed.  Don't recall how many drives you have, but if it's three plus and
they're the same size (I think you said they were), I'd go for RAID 5.  I
know you said data loss wasn't an issue and if that's really true, then 0 is
fine.  Obviously 5 gives you everything that 0 does but with a trade-off of
n-1 space for some fault tolerance.