[mythtv-users] 1:1 aspect ratio for Internal Player?

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Sun Jan 8 21:46:55 UTC 2006

On Jan 8, 2006, at 15.32, Steve Adeff wrote:

> On Sunday 08 January 2006 16:13, Kichigai Mentat wrote:

>>> no, they're 1:1 encoded xvids. I'm playing it back at 1280x720
>>> (16:9) for my
>>> TV. they playback fine using mplayer on the Myth machine (because
>>> it doesn't
>>> try to change the aspect ratio) and on XBMC(same reason). There is
>>> no aspect
>>> ratio coded in to the avi as when I play it back in mplayer the
>>> aspect ratio
>>> comes up as the w/h=2.35 the proper aspect ratio.
>>
>> That's wrong. 16/9=1.77777777778, not 2.35.
>>
>> But, judging from what's been said, It sounds to me like MythTV is
>> telling MPlayer to change the pixel aspect ratio from 1:1 (which is
>> what you want) to 16:9. I guess you need to go into your video
>> playback settings and make sure all pixel aspect ratio options are
>> disabled.
>
> I have a bunch of xvids of movies from DVD and other 16:9 sources.
> all black
> bars have been removed and the files encoded at 1:1 pixel ratio.
>
> MPlayer, Xine, VLC, XBMC(which uses mplayer) all play the files
> properly
> because they don't apply an artificial aspect ratio like the
> Internal player
MPlayer IS the internal player, isn't it? I have to say, though,
judging by what you said about the aspect ratio being set to 2.35 on
that file, the aspect ratio is set in the file, and is wrong. Your
aspect ratio should read 1.78 if it is true 16:9.
> is doing. Now, I'm not faulting the internal player for this, for
> what its
> been designed to do, playback TV recordings, forcing a 4:3 or 16:9
> aspect
> ratio more than makes sense. But why not use it for other media
> sources as
> well.
Are you using the "playback recordings" option, or are you using
another option? Because doesn't Myth have a special option for
playing back video files from sources other than internally created
videos? I'm pretty sure that if you were using that option, Myth
wouldn't enforce the aspect ratio settings like that.

However, I think I see the problem. This came up with before on the
MPlayer mailing list. Try to find your media playback options. Look
for any 16:9 options for the aspect ratio, and change it to -
monitoraspect instead, that might fix the problem.