[mythtv-users] AC3 through SPDIF?

Chris Lynch lynchseattle at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 18:26:39 UTC 2006

All,

I'm trying to get the last set of config done on my recently upgraded MythTV
box.  I finally did the HDTV plunge over the holidays and have everything
working with the exception of AC3 passthrough on DVB/HD recordings (it works
fine for 2 channel and even works for xine with AC3).  This is on an
Creative Audigy 2 zs card.

Here's what I have done and have working so far:
- I have AC3 passthrough turned on in MythTV
- I am outputting to ALSA:spdif in MythTV
- I can pick up AC3 in Xine playing movies
- Analog NTSC broadcasts play sound just fine over spdif (2 channel)
- OTA ATSC broadcasts play no sound unless I turn off the 'AC3 passthrough'
option Myth.  Then they play as 2 channel stereo.
- If I play the OTA ATSC files in mplayer with '-ac hwac3' set, I get AC3
and full 5.1

I'm thinking the problem is a mixture of Alsa and .asoundrc settings.  I'm
using the DigitalHowTo with mixed, but have also tried the straight digital
setting.

Two questions:
1 - Does anyone have this working?
2 - Can you send me your .asoundrc?