[mythtv-users] Video Card driver

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 8 10:47:00 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Jason Rottman
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 7:53 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] Video Card driver

I am having a very difficult time finding and installing a video card driver
for my ati 9200se so that I can output through s-video to a tv.  I tried
using the binary provided by ati.com, however all I got was a "Permission
Denied" error, even though I was logged in as root.  Any help in finding the
driver, and instructions on how to install it would be most appreciated.
I've searched the list, it seems like many people have had issues, and have
been able to get it to work.  Thank you.

Jason

Hello Jason,

A quick google for: ati linux drivers "permission denied"
16. Handling "drmSetBusid failed"
     The following is a quote from the DRI-FAQ at http://dri.sourcforge.net:

         How do I fix:
             [drm] drmSetBusid failed (7, PCI:1:0:0), Permission denied?
         Posted by: Liam

         This "Permission denied" problem has been reported a couple of
         times now. It seems to occur if the DRM kernel module is compiled
         with a different compiler version than the kernel. AFAIK no one
         has bothered to find out why so far.

         You can either compile the kernel yourself or find out which
         compiler RedHat used and use the same one for the module.

     This is provided to our end users just for informational purposes.
     If the individual situation really does resemble to the mentioned
     root cause can not be answered in general but should be resolved by
     the respective system administrator on a case by case investigation.

     We do at least recommend you to run these two commands for analysis:
         cat /proc/version
         gcc --version
     The reported version numbers for the previousely used and now present
     gcc compiler should match. In case your environment does provide more
     than one version of gcc then the shell script for the custom kernel
     module build be inspected and tuned to request the matching
version.Does that fix your problem? If not could you give us a more detailed
description of the error?
What distro? Version? The output from the above commands?

I've had trouble with some ati cards in the past so might be able to help if
my memory doesn't fail me :P

HTH

Steve