[mythtv-users] Fwd: Problem with XvMC being slow

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 19:23:04 UTC 2006

On 1/6/06, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 06 January 2006 00:05, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> 10%
> an
> every

> the

> nagging
> horizontal
> > >
> > > No, but that's a good suggestion - I'll try it tonight.  Thanks.
> >
> > No luck.  I tried setting both X and the GUI setup in myth to 800x600
> > and it's still slow playing HD.  Not stuttering, just slower than real
> > time.  I didn't mention before, but I'm using pretty much a straight
> > following of Jarod's guide with FC4, 2.6.14, on a P4 2.8.
> >
> > I'm so close to having beautiful HD playback, can anybody suggest things
> > try?
>
> poney up for a faster processor? I know its prbly not an optioin, but with
> 3.0 or 3.2GHz cpu you'll be able to play back HD without XvMC.
> Does OpenGL sync work with XvMC? I dunno, but might be worth a try. Also,
> try
> disabling any deinterlacing? Oh, what about audio buffering options, have
> you
> played with those?
> Also, don't forget you have to restart mythfrontend everytime you make one
> of
> these changes. minor bug...

I'm already at the fastest processor a Pundit will accept, so I'd have to
scrap my whole nice form factor frontend to do that.  I'm using OpenGL sync,
and deinterlacing is already disabled.  I haven't played with audio options
at all, but I don't think that can be it, since if I turn off XvMC, NTSC
plays back fine, but with it on, it plays back slow (not stuttering, just
slow-mo).

I'm out of town this weekend, but when I get back, I'm going to try
compiling mplayer with xvmc support and see if that has problems playing
back too.  That will at least either eliminate myth from the equation or
point to myth as the culprit.