[mythtv-users] Help with Dish 301 receiver

Dan Wilga dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Fri Jan 6 16:13:16 UTC 2006

At 7:36 PM -0700 1/4/06, Endaf Jones wrote:
>The real hard part is getting the timing correct.  The protocol is so
>fast (57Khz) that it's hard to get the timing absolutely correct
>without using a hardware IR sender.  You can play with the repeat
>values.

I just recently did some kernel and LIRC updates, and all my previous
problems with tuning using a homemade IR emitter via LIRC are now
gone. Here are some relevant parameters:

   lirc-0.8.0pre3

   kernel 2.6.14.5 with these options:
     CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
     CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
     CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE=y
     # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
     # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set
     CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y
     # CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
     CONFIG_HZ_250=y
     # CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set
     CONFIG_HZ=250
     (I think the most important part is setting the RTC timer
frequency to 250 Hz and the CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE option)

There is still some minor stuttering if you are playing video while
Myth tries to tune a new satellite channel in the background (such as
to start a scheduled recording). I was able to minimize this with a
min_repeat of 3. I'm also using the frequency 56000.

I'll also post to a separate thread the tuning script I'm using,
which I wrote with maximum flexibility in mind.
Dan Wilga                                         dwilga at mtholyoke.edu
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu
Mount Holyoke College                                Tel: 413-538-3027
South Hadley, MA  01075            "Who left the cake out in the rain?"