[mythtv-users] No sound from Win PVR-350

Intense Red intnsred at golgotha.net
Fri Jan 6 14:25:11 UTC 2006

   My setup: Kubuntu, latest 0.4.1 ivtv, w/a PVR-350 using TV Out to a regular
NTSC TV.

   My system puts out both audio and video to the TV just fine -- but *not*
when using the MythTV option of using the 350's hardware TV playback.

Here is my present sound configuration:

* From the PVR-350's TV-Out comes three RCA-type cables. One of those is piped
straight to the TV; that seems fine, since it's the video cable and the video
gets to the TV just fine using any setting.

   The other 2 cables are plugged into a reverse-Y, thus merging the two RCA
cables from the PVR-350 into a single computer-speaker-type audio plug.

   I have 3 audio ports on my motherboard: Mic-In, Line-In, and Line-Out.
(Previously, my computer's speaker was plugged into Line-Out and worked
fine.)  The reverse-Y cable with the two RCA cables of the PVR-350 is plugged
into the Line-In socket of my sound card.

* A Y cable with a single computer-speaker-type audio plug and two RCA plugs
is plugged into the sound card's Line-Out socket.  The two RCA plugs of that
Y cable are then plugged into the two RCA plugs of my TV.

   From what I've read, the above cable layout is normal.  Any advice and/or
idiot-level instructions to get this sorted out would be appreciated.

   I have to wonder if my problem(s) are in my software setup.  Here are some
questions/possibilities:

* In MythTV's Utilities/Setup, Setup, TV Settings, Playback menu there is a
screen to "Use the PVR-350's TV out / MPEG decoder"; also on that page is a
prompt for "TV audio through PVR-350 only".

   No matter what options I use of the two above-mentioned options, I get no
sound.

   However, if I entirely turn off the "Use the PVR-350's TV out / MPEG
decoder", then all seems fine -- video plays and I also have sound come out
of the TV.

   Is this normal behavior? Is anyone using the PVR-350 TV out / MPEG decoder
option successfully?

   Thanks in advance.

--
"Robert Eaton, co-chairman of my employer, DaimlerChrysler, took home $69
million in total compensation last year. It would take an employee earning
It is." -- John Durback, July 8, 1999