[mythtv-users] Rip DVD from frontend?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 5 23:13:23 UTC 2006

Dave Ansell wrote:

>     Is it possible to rip a dvd from a frontend machine?

Yes.  As a matter of fact, the only way to rip from a backend-only
machine is using something other than Myth.

>     When I try running mtd -n from a shell it gives the output listed
> below.   Is this a setup problem on my frontend or am I just trying to
> do something impossible.     There is no DVD reader in the backend and
> it is not readily accessible so not really an option to do from there.
>

> 2005-12-31 17:02:16.037 New DB connection, total: 1
> 2005-12-31 17:02:16.041 Unable to connect to database!
> 2005-12-31 17:02:16.041 Driver error was [1/2002]:
> QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
> Database error was:
> Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (                                        2)

You need to configure your frontend machine (
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-10.html ).  If you've already done
this, make sure you're starting mtd as the same user that starts
mythfrontend.

Mike