[mythtv-users] samsung TV and firewire output

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 02:26:51 UTC 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 18:02, Todd Hutchinson wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm considering purchasing a Samsung 4667W TV.
>
> This
>
> >> TV has 2 firewire input/output ports.  I realize
>
> that
>
> >> myth does not currently support recording from the
> >> FireWire ports of TVs, but it is something that I
> >> would like to try--it should be similar to using
> >> FireWire on a cable box, right?  I came across an
> >> article in "The Perfect Vision" magazine about
> >> FireWire output on another Samsung TV.  To quote
>
> the
>
> >> article:
> >>
> >> "I attempted to make a recording on an RCA DVR,

> >> The HL-R5668 had no problem recognizing the RCA
>
> DVR,
>
> >> and the set was able to play and fast-scan any of
>
> the
>
> >> recordings I had previously stored on it. However,
>
> the
>
> >> Samsung would not allow me to record any new cable
> >> content on the DVR. Instead, it displayed an
>
> on-screen
>
> >> notice that the content was copy-protected. This
> >> occurred with my local digital-broadcast channels
> >> (terrestrial channels that are rebroadcast on
>
> digital
>
> >> cable) as well as premium content such as HBO. Copy
> >> restrictions are prohibited on rebroadcast
>
> channels,
>
> >> so that couldn't have been the problem.
> >>    "I finally learned from Samsung that the
>
> HL-R5668
>
> >> does not have a PID (Program Identifier) filter.
>
> This
>
> >> filter is essential for recording digital-cable
> >> signals, which carry two complete HD channels in
>
> the
>
> >> same 6MHz bandwidth as single-channel over-the-air
> >> broadcasts. A program ID filter allows only one
> >> channel to pass through the FireWire cable to the
> >> recorder, which can't record two channels at once.

> >> The Samsung rep I spoke with assured me that
>
> digital
>
> >> recordings of terrestrial broadcasts can be
>
> performed,
>
> >> but I didn't try it."
> >>
> >> So, if I understand this correctly, it's not
>
> possible
>
> >> to record from the TVs firewire ports if it is fed

> >> cable TV signal.  (I realize that I could use the
> >> firewire output from the cable box instead).  But,
>
> if
>
> >> I use an antenna to recieve channels OTA, will I
>
> have
>
> >> the same problem.  Do you concur?
> >>
> >> Ultimately, I'd like to use mythtv to record from
>
> the
>
> >> FireWire output of the TV. Is there any hope of
>
> doing
>
> >> that with this TV?  I did read the thread from a
> >> couple of weeks ago about using HAVi to control a
> >> TV--might be fun to try with this TV, if I can get
> >> over the above problem.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Todd

> [...]

ok, makes sense then. If Samsung says signals received from OTA (possibly
QAM?) on its internal tuner will be sent out of the firewire without DRM then
Myth should most definitely be able to grab those signals. From what I
understand the format for sending the mpeg through firewire is a standard.

--
Steve