[mythtv-users] Large LCD Televisions?

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Thu Jan 5 04:10:10 UTC 2006

>On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 04:36:46PM -0700, James C. Dastrup wrote:
>> No, PC input is the same quality as DVI. At least on my TV
>> (Samsung 61" DLP and ATI 9600), PC and DVI/HDMI quality is equal.
>Hmmm ... well I might be doing something wrong ... but my first
>impression is what I'm seeing in text mode (haven't gotten X to
>start yet). With HDMI/DVI, though the terminal does creep off the
>screen (meaning I can't actually see the cursor :-)), the clarity
>of the ascii chars is crystal; with the PC input, the letters are
>blurry and seem to be be shuddering quite a bit.

If the text is blurry using the PC Input, you must not be displaying text in
the LCD's native resolution.  There's no reason text should be blurry or
shuddering. Are you using a framebuffer at the TV's native resolution?
I would suggest the VESA VGA framebuffer, and not the ATI fb driver.
I see a lot of freezing in X if you also have the ATI fb driver loaded.

>> Also FYI, I'm not sure if it's my ATI card's DVI out, or my TV's processing,
>> but when I use HDMI, there is a slight delay in the picture from the source.
>> This results in the audio being out of sync, although it is very very slight.
>> I can compensate with my receiver's adjustements, but I don't have to when
>> I use PC.
>Interesting ... so that means you've actually gotten the DVI/HDMI output
>on the ATI working with your Samsung? Weird about the delay ... I wonder
>if it has to do with the fact that DVI is only video and you're using anothe
>source for audio input from your PC to the TV (rather than using the HDMI
>audio which would be ideal if there was a video card that supported HDMI).

Yes, I got a modeline using entech's Monitor Asset Manager on Windows XP
with the same hardware.  It worked fairly well, but I always had a slight
moire pattern in X.  Once I dumped the modeline and plugged in the PC Input,
I got a perfect picture.

About the delay, I thought of that, so I plugged in a PC Monitor to the PC output
and the TV to the DVI output and mirrored the display in X.  Watching both
at the same time, there was definitely a delay on the TV.  Again, not sure if it
was due to the TV or the DVI hardware on the video card.