[mythtv-users] Newbie - Feeding mythtv back end with VLC-like network streams ?

Erik PROST erik at prost.nom.fr
Wed Jan 4 13:06:59 UTC 2006

Hello there,

I am quite new to MythTV and found no anwser to the following question,
after doing a bunch of research on Google.

Is there a way to run MythTV with time shift, recording features, ...

- without any tuner card

- and with network streams such as ones delivered by VLC/VLM from videolan ?

A few words about the technical context might be useful : I already have a
live TV streaming box, named Freebox, that is able to feed a VLC client
running on my computer (see http://adsl.free.fr/tv/multiposte/, french
language but screen dumps at the end should be self explanatory). A Freebox
can send up to 4 or 8 streams at the same time, depending on the box
version. Therefore, I do not see any interest in buying one or more tuner
cards if I can feed MythTV with network streams coming my Freebox, knowing
that it uses a fairly standard encoding (recognized by VLC).

Now the next steps would be to :

- feed MythTV with up to 8 video streams coming from my Freebox;

- customize MythTV in order to configure channels.

Is there any chance to achieve this ? Thank you, Erik.