[mythtv-users] Graphical boot on a PVR 350 ?

Jason Mollman jasonmollman at atlanticbb.net
Tue Jan 3 15:56:01 UTC 2006

Attached is a mkinitrd script that you'll need to create a new ramdisk.
Inspect it for any distro-specific directories and make sure you understand
what it is doing. Note that as of ivtv 0.4.0 the firmware is loaded from your
distro's hotplug directory, "/lib/firmware" for me, and that the firmware
files are named differently now. I've had trouble getting mkinitrd to load
the firmware from this new location early enough for this to work so YMMV.

1. Copy it to /sbin.
2. Make a backup of your old initrd image:
	cp /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img  /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img.bak
3. Then use "mkinitrd-ivtv -f --ivtvdev /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname
-r`" to create the ramdisk.
4. Then make sure your grub.conf file references the initrd image you created.
Below is mine, although it is for Fedora Core 3.

title Linux (2.6.11-1.27_FC3smp)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.27_FC3smp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.27_FC3smp.img

You may also need to add "vga=791" to the end of the kernel line. This tells
the kernel to load a frame buffer at 1024x768, 16 bit.

Although it is Fedora-centric, this link has some good MythTV setup
information for any distro.
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php?SID&expandables=closed&ivtv=open&pvr350out=open