[mythtv-users] Frontend - Backend : Connectivity

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Jan 2 22:29:55 UTC 2006

R wrote:

>Will this work?
>
>In THIS house, the Backend is connected to Comcast cable.
>It is also connected to Comcast internet behind a firewall.
>
>My relative lives across the street.
>We could put a Frontend in THAT house behind that firewall.
>
>Make the appropriate changes to both the firewalls so that the
>Frontend and Backend can communicate with eachother.
>
>What do you think?
>
>Or is it better to just get wireless gear, secure it of course,
>and forget connectivity over the internet?
>
>Our houses are about 100 feet apart.

I'd go wireless.  Most broadband can't come close to delivering the
bandwidth needed to play the recordings.  Even 802.11b falters most of
the time in the real world.  Get a couple 802.11g APs, lock them to G,
secure them, and bridge your network.  It will probably be the path of
least resistance.

Kevin