[mythtv-users] Hiding channels to avoid scheduling shows on them

Derek Battams derek at battams.ca
Mon Jan 2 13:08:13 EST 2006

Quoting Moasat <mythtv at moasat.dyndns.org>:

> Do I understand things wrong - that hiding a channel does not prevent the
> scheduler from scheduling shows on it?  I have a custom record schedule to
> record my favorite team on any channel, but the scheduler is picking up
> games on Fox Sports Net channels that I currently do not get.
>
> I thought that by hiding the channels, it would prevent the scheduler from
> picking shows on those channels but it appears to be doing it anyway.
> Shouldn't hiding be enough?  Or do I have to actually delete them?

I'm in the same situation, sort of, for recording Edmonton Oilers
games, which I've solved using a custom record rule.  The situation for
me is that Oilers games are broadcast on the regional Rogers Sportsnet
channel and on the NHL Centre Ice package.  As a digital subscriber, I
do get all of the regional Sportsnet channels, but NHL games are
blacked out on the regional channel (since I don't live in the Edmonton
region), but available on Centre Ice, which I subscribe to.  I don't
want to simply remove the regional Sportsnet listings from Myth since I
do get the channels, just not NHL games outside my region.  Here is the
custom record rule I use to record Oilers games:

program.title = "NHL Hockey" AND program.subtitle LIKE "%Edmonton%" AND
channel.callsign NOT IN ("SPONET1", "SPONET3", "SPONET4")

Basically, this rule allows me to record all Edmonton games not
appearing on the regional Sportsnet channels that would be blacked out
for me.  Since I live in Ontario, "SPONET2" is not included as I would
get Oilers games on this channel and so that's why I didn't include
"SPONET2" in my rule.  You should be able to do the same with Fox
Sports Net.

Hope that helps,

Derek