[mythtv-users] Easiest way to burn shows to DVD?

Jens Baumeister jens.baumeister at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 17:05:17 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 1/2/06, Dave Ansell <dave at theansells.com> wrote:

>      Please can someone advise me the easiest way to copy shows to DVD
> before I waste loads more time and trash loads more DVDs!

You might want to use a rewritable disc for testing. They're not that
much more expensive than regular DVDs and you should be able to re-use
them.

>       I have DVD burner in my frontend machine but not in the backend.  Also
> I have a windows machine with DVD burner which can see the files via Samba
> share.

I can't comment on any Windows solutions, since I've never used any
DVD bruning software under Windows. On Linux I'd recommend MythBurn,
which, of course depends on mythweb. I'm not sure if it's possible to
run mythweb on a frontend machine (never tried).

>       I then started trying to install the MythBurn plugin.  However, I got
> stuck with sorting out the compatability issues there seem to be between
> ImageMagick and dvdauthor packages.

Could you post the package versions and any error messages you get
while installing or running the software?

>     Anyway,  can anyone who has a simple working setup please advise?

I installed MythBurn on Gentoo, so I can't comment much on FC, but I'm
sure that others will know more if you supply them with some
additional data. I'm using it to burn DVB-T recordings to DVD and it
works great.

> PS  I dont really want to do a load of command line stuff every time I burn
> a show if at all possible.

Once installed, you can use MythBurn without ever using the command
line. It's all done via a web interface. Works great for me.

Jens