[mythtv-users] "V" chip

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Tue Feb 28 18:51:49 UTC 2006

On 28 Feb 2006 at 11:08, Francesco Peeters wrote:

> Although I understand the eternal struggle for an excuse to buy new
> hardware, I wonder what the V chip has to do with MythTV? (Or Linux for
> that matter) Isn't it just an extra piece of hardware that we can chose to
> ignore if we don't want it activated?
>
> If someone can explain, I would be very interested...

When I read the article, I gathered that after Mar 15th it would be illegal to sell any digital
receiving device (TV, settop box, capture card) that did not include a V chip. The wording is
somewhat convoluted, but at least the way that writer presented it, cards like the HD3000
could be included.

The current crop of digital capture cards available for use with MythTV do not include V
chips, and if this regulation is enforcable, Jack will end up with a batch of cards he can't
legally sell after Mar 15th. That's why I made the statement that it might be wise to buy a
digital capture card now before these new regulations come into effect and we have to wait
for another generation of cards.

Or not, I dunno... The V chip "issue" (if it is one) doesn't seem to be on very many peoples
radar.

Marvin