[mythtv-users] Migrating existing recordings to new Storage Groups

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 03:49:10 UTC 2006

> What's the benefit of partitioning the drive in multiple partitions
> (and therefore multiple storage groups) rather than one single large
> partition?

For me I believe it is an added level of reliability. If some type of
file system corruption occurs I believe it is much better to have
several small partitions over a single large partition as I am
assuming that only one of my partitions will have damage. Also there
is the option of formating them with reiserfs (actually some of mine
are) which has a hack (forced rebuild of the tree) that will allow
undeleting a recording in the event of an accidental delete. In the
past I have done this with 200GB of myth data on it to recover a file
but I feel much safer doing this operation with a 50 GB partition.

BTW, I am still using lvm but each disk is its own volume group.

John