[mythtv-users] TV Quality Recommendations (PVR-350 vs. S-Video vs. VGA->Composite)

Mike Hoover ixarka at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 19:48:18 UTC 2006

On 12/29/06, devsk <funtoos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have one very silly (even idiotic maybe) question. The three options
> accomplish different things. How do you hook up your cable TV to your PC
> with options 2 and 3? You say you are building first mythbox, and if you go
> with 2 or 3, I don't see you having a tuner in the picture to actually
> record or play any tv thru myth? then you talk about cable tv being analog
> only and its quality, which would mean you are routing cable thru your PC,
> which will require either a tuner or VIVO card. does fx5200 have VIVO?

Sorry...the implicity assumption I made with options 2 and 3 is that
I'd buy a PVR-150 to act as a tuner card.  So, my question only
concerns the output from the PC to the TV.  Obviously, if I bought the
350, I wouldn't need the 5200, but the cost of a 5200+PVR-150 is close
enough to that of the 350 that money isn't really a concern for me
here.

And while I'm correcting stuff, that original e-mail should have said
VGA to COMPONENT video, not composite.  But I get the impression that
there's little difference in quality between S-video and component,
especially given my setup.  In that case, I think I'm better off
getting a new video card with built-in S-video out rather than using
my current one (which is kind of old) and converting.