[mythtv-users] Install Notes and Questions :FC6 ATI Conexant CX23880

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 01:45:56 UTC 2006

On Dec 27, 2006, at 5:02 AM, Wise, Jeremey wrote:

> Greetings. From one Nerd to others.......

Greetings fellow Nerd.

> 3) When I hook my video card up to my TV via the S-Video connection I
> can see the system post, start Linux, and watch the init structure. As
> soon as it goes over to XWindows (aka loads desktop etc) the TV
> seems to
> loose Sync and goes funky. It is likely a video card setting I need to
> fix. Any direction on this? (PS: I can Alt+F1 over to a shell and keep
> working just fine on the TV)

What is happening is that linux has *some* native support for tv out,
but X needs to know about it. That's going to be card specific. Can't
help much with ATI, but I'm sure someone here can. I use an nvidia,
and there's just a few things I had to add to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf
in the device section to tell it what type of display (ntsc vs. pal)
and that is connected through svid. not near my myth, or I'd copy and
paste the lines, but this is from wilsonet.com:

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Videocard0"
Driver      "nvidia"
VendorName  "Chaintech"