[mythtv-users] Cheapest way to build a frontend?

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 28 05:35:36 UTC 2006

(please turn off HTML posting)

> Marco, here are my numbers from a different thread. Do they seem reasonable? Also, are you using SATA drives and have you been able to tune them if so?
>
> without mythfrontend:
> jesse at dionysis:~> sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
> /dev/sda:
>  Timing cached reads:   2500 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1250.10 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  210 MB in  3.02 seconds =  69.63 MB/sec
>
> with mythfrontend:
> /dev/sda:
>  Timing cached reads:   328 MB in  2.04 seconds = 161.00 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:   48 MB in  3.14 seconds =  15.28 MB/sec

As I said before, I'm using a single 250GB SATA disk on this machine.
I haven't done any kind of tuning of it. The numbers you list are
similar to what I'm getting. My point was that even though the 'remaining'
disk throughput drops dramatically, it still is enough to play another
show on another machine (serving the file over SMB, as I don't have
another frontend). I'm not sure why playback on your machine would start
stuttering badly. Maybe using XvMC gives me a little extra 'oomph', or
maybe sharing over SMB is more efficient than having the backend serve
up another stream.