[mythtv-users] OT Hardware RAID 5 non-Recommendations

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 01:50:01 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, WJCarpenter <bill-mythtv at carpenter.org> wrote:
> > There must be something wrong with your setup.   I, and many other
> > people here have perfectly working setups with perfectly ordinary
> > drives, doing HD and SD.   I even watch my HD remotely over the
>
> A popular thing to slow down disk drives is to have bad defaults for hdparm.  I think this is
> especially likely if you are using a Debian setup (just because it's more conservative, uses
> older kernels, etc, and because it happened to me).  On one Debian Sarge (non-MythTV) system I
> had (with IDE drives), I was able to improve disk speed by 4x just by fiddling with hdparm
> settings.  Of course, that might not be the problem here, but it's an easy thing to look into.
>
> hdparm -i /dev/hda
> hdparm -T -t /dev/hda

yea, I fiddled with this, and seem to have found a sweet spot, I still
couldn't get what I wanted out of a single drive. My 3drive RAID5
worked fine for my single HD3000 and PVR-150, but when I decided to
get another two ATSC tuners and add an additional two HD capable
frontends I felt it safer to move to a RAID10 array. Possibly overkill
overall, but lets just say that I'm glad I have never had a read/write
speed issue with the array, which in the end makes me happy. Sure, I
don't need the redundency, but if you lose an episode of a show your
addicted to it sucks.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!