[mythtv-users] OT Hardware RAID 5 non-Recommendations

Andy Speagle sidrew at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 02:14:32 UTC 2006

I'm not quoting anyone... but thought I'd drop in my $.02.  I'm currently
using a 4x250GB PATA RAID5 setup in my backend with 4 total tuners
(2xPVR-350, 1xPVR-500) and I'm quite happy with the performance of
everything... even with all tuners recording and me watching playback...
everything is smooth as butter...  other than the occasional DMA issue I
have due to the VIA chipset on the motherboard (to be replaced soon),
everything is happy.

I can honestly say... speed issues aside... the main reason for the RAID
setup in my .20 setup is data integrity.  I really don't have any interest
in losing all of my recordings.  I'm sure there are some Super-Cool (tm)
things coming with v.21... but even then... you have the potential for
dumping all of the recordings on one disk.  With RAID... I can just replace
the drive.... and continue on... heh assuming I can still find a PATA 250GB
drive when one of them fails.

So... keeping the wife from beating me about the head and neck for losing
her recorded shows... that's the motivation for RAID.