[mythtv-users] OT Hardware RAID 5 non-Recommendations

WJCarpenter bill-mythtv at carpenter.org
Fri Dec 22 23:13:46 UTC 2006

> There must be something wrong with your setup.   I, and many other
> people here have perfectly working setups with perfectly ordinary
> drives, doing HD and SD.   I even watch my HD remotely over the

A popular thing to slow down disk drives is to have bad defaults for hdparm.  I think this is
especially likely if you are using a Debian setup (just because it's more conservative, uses
older kernels, etc, and because it happened to me).  On one Debian Sarge (non-MythTV) system I
had (with IDE drives), I was able to improve disk speed by 4x just by fiddling with hdparm
settings.  Of course, that might not be the problem here, but it's an easy thing to look into.

hdparm -i /dev/hda
hdparm -T -t /dev/hda